Sunday, November 14, 2010

Turning the Crank

Last night I had the writing bug, so I put on my headphones and listened to John Murphy's Adagio in D, Sunshine. It is an amazing theme from the unforgettable sci-fi movie "Sunshine".

Here are the poems that came out. Not bad poems, but decent. I always try to write my best, so it is frustrating to produce something that is good but not excellent. Too much mind, too much deliberate crafting. I think the best poetry is from "No mind", "No consciousness". But you have to stir the well, pour out the pitcher so that it keeps getting filled.

So... here they are anyway:

Poem I

There was a place we knew once
But,
We lost it.

The sky is empty.
Perhaps the stars are hidden
Maybe the universe didn’t pay the bill.
All we know,
The sky is black.

Long ago
A call went out
Our heart became attuned
Although we don't know the meter
And we don't know the rhyme.

The notes roll
One upon another
With foothills into mountains
Mountains into snow till the granite touches time:
Crescendo.

A child is curled under covers
In early morning
The heat kicks on
Outside the windows
Tree limbs crash in a wild song.

Where is that voice that called to us?
We used to believe
But
I think we lost it.

I am looking for that voice
And the place from where it calls
Please tell me if you find it.
At the very least,
Write to me
Send me a letter with a map. 


Poem II 

In the moment of sunrise
I felt your hand in mine.
The rushing and the whisper
Ebb and flow
Breath of your heart.

A sudden peace
An inward turning.

The wings are silent
They move in air
Each particle of light
Swept by the horizon.

The light and the dark.
Morning,
Night.

(The heart beats softly)

There is a plain under a red sky
In iron armor
Two heroes always fight.

The wings beat
Air shakes.
The anvil,
Your heart
Each breath a hammer,
Every moment
The ringing strike.


 Poem III

I saw the end
That last moment
The closing of the book
Last page turned.
It was beautiful
And terrible
A gushing flame and a roaring wind
The curtain of the world
Torn asunder.
From the uncertain sea over misted continents
God walked like a giant
Each step one thous’n mile
Legs vast and shadowed
Like elephants by Dali
The torso a mountain
Lost in the darkness of the sky.
His beard swayed
The sound of a forest raging
Hands like great tree limbs falling.
His eyes in lower heaven
Two coals of fire burning.


No comments:

Post a Comment