Monday, March 14, 2011

Only I saw

Some say there is only one smile
A smile Leonardo painted.
Mona Lisa, she gives a coy look 
A twitchy eyebrow look
With a curling lip.
And they rave
Critics marvel 
Students study it
Artists recreate.

But

I have been to France
I have seen her
And I was not impressed.
In a dark dank room,
Behind prison glass
An ugly woman gave a bland look.

I was disappointed
And that afternoon
I wandered the Louvre depressed.

Years after
Among the flowers of a busy scene
The constant motion
A commotion of smiling faces
Winks and constant noise
There was a smile I saw
Only I saw

I stood there in silence
As if a single flower had pushed through snow
The smile was a wanton moment
People honked and the distractions clamored
But I held that smile in my mind
Captured it like a photograph 
Developed it in my heart.

And I saw the smile Leonardo should have painted
If he had been standing where I stood
But he was not so singularly blessed.

So I will keep it.
It is mine
More sacred than a painting
And not bound by myopic glass.
It shines in quiet shyness
The vulnerable and beautiful smile  
Enveloped by angelic wings
Embraced by a seraph's splendor
Like a fire in his chest.

My invincible heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment