Monday, December 13, 2010

By Satellite

As I drove
I looked over my shoulder
And I saw:
An empty lot of sky
The looming blue between red-brick buildings

A flock of birds
Searching
Flying

A cloud of birds
Painting the sky with wings.

They flew from the library to the cafe
Back to the library
Then across the square
They surged

Like snowflakes in a snow-globe shaken hard
And I lost them over city hall.

Turning the corner
I drove.

A small town road
A fall afternoon
The golden light.

I was a thinking person
Inside a breathing body;
Pilot to a moving vehicle.

The leaves fell around me
They flew like the birds
The road became a hill
The hill became a tunnel through leaves and light.

I joined the leaves
Became a bird
A bird on the wind.

Circling the city square,
Looked for a door
Castaneda's cave to Ixtlan.

I found only

The space between buildings
Anonymous sky
Empty blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment